Catwonsports

Thursday, January 31, 2008

don't count your chickens when it's raining

Here's the Luffa Farm. This little flier confused us, and we thought it had to do with food. Not so.


On my way home from work today, I spotted this cute little 12 year old. He had some strange name, and I've already forgotten what it was.


I have four more calendars, but they aren't organized and tidy like these. Plus, they are packed away in a plastic tub, and I don't feel like getting them out. These calendars have all my training workouts from my years of racing. It is a little anal, but yes I have saved them all. Even more interesting is that I still look at them. I'll compare one year to the the next. In the beginning, I was keeping track of mileage, hours, ave. speed, ave. heart rate, elevation climbing, and very high level estimate of how I felt that day: good, good+, etc... Races were noted by a border around the race name. Over the years, I dropped a bunch of this data and now just keep track of hrs., miles, ave. speed, and climbing when I have a hilly ride.


Marscat said I should show the inside these logs. They are pretty messy, and I sort of feel embarassed by my messy writing. This is actually funny because I used to do a lot of drafting and spent time really enjoying writing neat. Not so anymore.

What I noticed over the years of going through these books is that when I did fairly well, I sure trained a lot. This one page was my best ever month. I always think about how many miles I was training and remember how much work it was on top of my real work. I don't think I could ever do it again.

I was counting my miles for this month since it is almost over. I started counting on Monday and was including today's ride hoping to get in a little chunk of hours. But when I got home, it started to rain. I drove to Lafayette, and it was raining there. I drove back to Berkeley and saw that the rain was lighter so I hopped on my bike. It started raining more so I turned around and went home. Darn rain, darn sore back...so here I am pefercting my third signature drink and not riding.

13 Comments:

At 2:57 PM, Blogger marscat said...

so here I am pefercting my third signature drink and not riding.

aint nothing wrong with that!

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

i wanted to ride...sort of...

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Lilly Bella said...

ha...you are me fifteen years ago! I still have my running logs, I look at them every once in awhile too and think damn...I did all that? I think that is why I keep them...to impress my own bad self.

I think they are reminders of what it takes, and how your condition is always fluctuating. Your performance should not define you... good nor bad. Its really the process and those books should give you confidence you can accomplish anything you set your mind to...

I am setting my mind to getting another signature drink. I really like those mojitos!

 
At 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay, now that is darn impressive!

i am in awe....

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Velo Bella said...

I still have my old workout logs too. Except mine were in binders with little tabbed and labeled divider sheets. And yep, my fastest years were the ones with all the workouts and miles and weights and yikes...calorie counting.

We can giggle over this while we are trying each others' signature drinks.

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger marscat said...

i keep my workout notes written on the back of my hand.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger ~ lauren said...

logs and books and workouts and divider sheets and calendars.

that sounds like a lot of work.

the hand idea, that's probably as close to what i might get to.

maybe.

i like your story of how you drove back and forth.

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

Lauren-I really tried to ride...darn rain

LillyBella and VB-glad to hear I'm not the only one who keeps little logs and still looks at them

simple syrup and the right amount of lime is the key to the mojitos

flandria-I sure wish I could get that same training in now...

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

and even though marscat writes on her hand, she still tries to sneak looks at my logs to know how long our rides have been

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger X Bunny said...

i try to keep notes but then i leave such scribbly abbreviations that i can't figure out when i read them the next year even though i totally knew what it meant when i wrote it

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger jen said...

Ack, I totally used to get in trouble with my coaches in da' poo' because I so completely lagged at keeping training logs. It was sort of embarassing. There'd be weeks of missing workouts. Yep, I swam. Now why don't you tell me what I did, since you're like the coach and stuff.

Bike racing? ha! I tried to keep track once. It lasted for like a day.

Maybe if LillyBella had been my coach I might have tried harder. You make it sound so cool.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger EB said...

How do you make an Ippoc?

I keep track, now on a website that I print my calendars from (but don't make notes), for a couple years before that in a wide-ruled notebook and before that I only kept track of miles in a year (Mr. Man & I have an annual yellow-jersey competition). Maybe someday I'll look through them again, but right now I wouldn't know what to do with that info.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger EB said...

I brought my panda ears to the race, but no Ippoc!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home