Catwonsports

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

under pressure


Kern is quickly approaching, and I feel less ready than ever before. This last week has been a most trying time. It started with my step brother's funeral and went downhill from there. My step mom went into the hospital yesterday to get a new pacemaker and a little "zolt" to her heart. At 95 years old and after just losing her oldest son, I wonder about the wisom of that decision.

Along with the family news, I saw my downer rheumatologist last week. The 4 MRIs that he recommended were not authorized by the insurance company. Well thank you very much I didn't want them anyway. I found that they were denied after I had already had one of the MRIs done. I am appealing. But, not the type of thing I want to be dealing with right now. The hemaocirit dropped down to 34 and is now officially under the normal range. Again, just in time for a series of hilly races. The bone density results came back too. What's a little spinal osteopenia on top of everything else?

So, I am trudging on and trying to get back into my Kern mode. I feel a bit sad that a lot of my season has been built upon this event, and I don't feel mentally that up to it. I guess Kern is a little more important to me than I have given it credit for being. The thing about it all is that in previous years, I couldn't wait for Sunday when it would all be over. Today, despite it all, I want to savor the weekend. I am excited to be racing and had been feeling pretty good on the bike. I'll just try to relax and let myself have a fun time. Because after all, Kern is really where I want to be with all my Bella teammates. However, there is one Bella that I will miss this year. But who knows, maybe she will be back racing next year. I am in need of new Italian recipes that she always told me about during the Woody road race.

21 Comments:

At 7:45 PM, Blogger marscat said...

yes, a very tough week...

and i'll miss the starling too.

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

i loves me some ippoc.


it'll be so fine this weekend, you just wait and see.

fitness doesn't evaporate in 10 days for someone like you. rest up, ride the TT like it's a prep day for the Saturday races.

The circuit race is where you'll shine. you'll keep all the Bellas on the right track and do what is needed to keep us in the driver's seat.

The hillclimb? bah, just get up that thing.

then, on Sunday, you're the glue to keep morale up and point us all in the best direction.


and i haven't even mentioned the dinners!

m

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

OV-I wrote the same thing about the ITT on the forum...how funny...

marsey-and the starling's italian recipes...maybe she can tell us how to make zabaglione...

 
At 8:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

F-U-N

I will think of you this weekend, in fact - all the Bellas!

sometimes in life, you experience a big wave dropping on top of you, you roll around trying to get some air...then after it goes by it will be calm again...

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

thanks Flandria-I am ready for a calming trend...

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

Flandria-we're gonna miss you...and have fun birthday with your son...

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger marscat said...

and ippoc tells me that picture of the lady in the rain is in the "looooooove"

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

at least I'm not pretending to be a french translator...

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger ~ lauren said...

a tough week for sure, but you sound very tough to me.

especially tough, doing this race 11 years in a row.

good luck ippoc! and marscat! i'll be thinking of all you gals this weekend.

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

today, I got all bent because Trader Joe's was out of Fuji apples.

someone should have kicked me in my spoiled ass

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger marscat said...

i thought bad things about my bar tape this evening...

don't tell the sponsors.

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

you are such a tough cookie! I have nothing but admiration for you. I can only imagine what you go through. I hope you're able to enjoy Kern -- you definitely deserve it!

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

zabaglione?

isn't that the little car thingy that comes out between periods at hockey games?

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

pab-zamboni...

lauren & VG - thanks...

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger EB said...

This weekend at BHRR I was chasing with a girl and we were talking about the quality of racing in this area. One thing she said that has popped up in my head is that it doesn't matter how physically strong you are, when you're competing against experience.

I think the cat-herder is one of the most important (and most complicated) roles on any team.

And you know that no matter what happens you're gettin' an award...;).

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger EB said...

The undertone of "mental hug" that I was going for above didn't seem to translate well, so *hug*

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Kimberly (aka. DrKim) said...

i don't even know you but you are so inspiring anyway! Keep it up..and maybe I"ll meet you at Kern. Hang in there....

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'll have a little special something for you this weekend!

You're amazing, as all are the women on this team. So proud and excited to beable to supprt you all at Kern.

-mm

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

panda-thanks for the mental hug...

drkim...I'll look for you

mm-so glad you re going to be here...

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

linda, I forgot to give you your special something.

I'd like to mail it to you?

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

mm-mailing is cool...need an address?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home