Catwonsports

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

thought it was interesting...

from buzz up on yahoo (by the way, i love mine, but i have little fingernails and toe nails...yes, i can use my iPhone with my toes...)

Most people either love or hate the iPhone's touch screen, and based on a report on the LA Times, women with long fingernails are among the haters. Why? Well, since the iPhone's touchscreen only responds to electrical charges emitted by your bare fingertips, women with long nails are left out in the cold. A woman interviewed for the article went so far as to suggest Apple was being misogynistic because it did not include a stylus for women and didn't consider womens' fingers and nails when designing the phone.

Honestly, though, this same argument has come up against keyboards, touch screen monitors, and anything else that involves the use of your fingers, so should every gadget maker change the design of its products to accommodate users with long nails, or should people with long nails learn to work around this problem like they have in the past? I'd love to hear what Apple has to say about all this, but I doubt they'll ever address this particular design flaw.

Personally, I'd rather have them focus on the real issues of the iPhone, like the lack of a video camera, extra storage, and better camera, but that's just me. Besides, there are styli out there that work with the iPhone just fine and are pretty affordable.

This all reminded me of an iPhone reviewer who had a hard time using the iPhone due to her long nails, and in her frustration she said, "I guess people who use Apple products are too cool for fingernails." But are we? What do you think?

6 Comments:

At 9:08 AM, Blogger Velo Bella said...

I'm going to get a Blackberry Bold just to continue my anti apple campaign. It has a real little wee keyboard, and a flash for the camera.

My fingernails are ugly.

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

that was the pretty side of my foot...i don't know how to use a flash properly...

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger teamwelliver said...

Hmm, I love all our Apple stuff and my fingernails have always been ugly. I got them done once for a dance in college. A week later they started ripping off because I actually use my hands for stuff. It hurt. There was blood. I cried. So I don't think I'm too cool by not doing my fingernails...just a big wimp who loves her MacBook nonetheless.

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger marscat said...

i think you should grow your fingernails loooooong!

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger ~ lauren said...

grow them long enough so that they cuuuurl up.

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger jen said...

soooo love my powerbook. it's like a toaster. i turn it on. it toasts my bread. i turn it off.

my nails? what are these nails you speak of?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home