Catwonsports

Monday, August 27, 2007

started off backwards



Today's Monday started off a little weird...I drove to the yard to gas up and discovered my pants were on backward...ok, so much for the start of this work week. Hope no one saw me.

Last Friday, we picked up the trip documents for our vacation that begins next Monday. The visa arrived with a note that passports need to be valid 6 months after return home...my passport expires(along with my CDL)on my birthday a month after we return home...called the travel agent about it last week, and she said it should be ok. But maybe she suggested, I ought to start working on the renewal paperwork so that it would be in the process. Today, I thought I'd verify that everything would be ok.

The post office and the passport expediter people said I probably would not be able to board the plane with a passport that is only valid a few weeks after the return trip...oh great. At first, I thought the expediter folks just wanted my money, but the woman on the phone told me she couldn't even expedite it if she wanted to since there were no appointments available even if I faxed all my documents to a Houston office.

Left work early to go to the SF passport agency and try my luck in person...stopped at Stacey's and got a book for the long anticipated wait at the agency. Since I bought a bike book, the guy at the counter asked if I rode a bike. I said I did. Remembering that Marscat worked at Stacey's, I asked him how long he had worked at the store. He looked at me oddly, and said he'd been there a long time. I asked if he knew Erika, and he said that she was his favorite person. Small world. Called Marscat and relayed this exchange and before we got cutoff, she mentioned something about "that's a long story". Darn, what was the story? I didn't have a lot of time so I didn't call back, but I was curious.

I found the passport agency and after passing through several security checkpoints, I finally made it to the point of getting a number and waiting for an agent. I scanned the agents at the windows and really hoped for a kind one who would process all the paperwork without any hassle. I found a quiet secluded seat and settled in for the long haul. After a little over half way through the first chapter of Lance to Landis, my number was called...so far so good and so not a nigthmare.

The agent was very nice and so not like normal governmental workers. After a few short pleasant minutes of paper processing, she told me my new passport would be ready at 4pm today...what a turn of events.

As superstious as I am, it's a little risky posting this before I have the passport in hand, but what they heck.

15 Comments:

At 3:12 PM, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

wow ... i hope that thing is ready tomorrow!!

yahoo - scrap one up for the industrious go-getters (and the valiant diggers against the bureaucracy).

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

where are we going?

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Lilly Bella said...

oh...now you did it...you're gonna have to wear pants backwards at all government offices.

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Velo Bella said...

backward pants without knowing?

Where are you going?

What was the long story?

I'm hanging here...

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger ~ lauren said...

another vacation?! where are you going!!? i'm so jealous.

i had to do the expedited passport a while ago to go to canada. i did it over at the canyon post office (rode my bike over) and then mailed it to some rush service in NY and had it back in 2 days. pretty cool.

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Lilly Bella said...

yeah I'm with VB...get that long story out of the mcat.

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

I got my little passport in my hands yea...the evening at the passport agency had a long line but after a "it's in quality control" delay...they actually had it ready...

we are going to Sydney, Melbourne, and Tazmania...

I had to change the pants as soon as I noticed cus' backwards pants feel funny...

someone would wear their pants backwards knowingly? that's just weird...

well...he was in love with the marscat and wrote her poetry which I believe she edited and returned to him not aware that it was a poem for her...she can fill in the details

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger marscat said...

i did not edit his poetry!

i didn't understand i was supposed to keep it.

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger Lilly Bella said...

oooh poor guy! he handed her his heart and she cut it up and made a circle.

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

I'm renewing my CDL tomorrow...might have to wear the pants in the "special" governmental direction

Lauren-I love the little Canyon post office...

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger marscat said...

just a little clueless.

besides, he was married.

 
At 7:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how fun and exciting! that is one destination in the future definitely...

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger chatterbox said...

wow, how scandalous with the bookstore poet!

your trip sounds awesome! I am jealous.

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Allison Krasnow said...

I did the SAME thing at the SAME office and was prepped for a day of frustration. But, it all worked out and I really got my passport in a day. It was a miracle, given the government bureaucracy I face every day as a public school teacher.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger X Bunny said...

i wasn't paying close enough attention when i started reading this post and thought that was a photo of marscat at first

 

Post a Comment

<< Home