Catwonsports

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

halftime

Arguably, this was the best part of the Mt. Hamilton race this last weekend. We spotted these porta potties and decided we would hit them and beat the rush at reg. Reg didn't have porta potties, they had full on bathrooms.


I was still squeezing out the last little drops of the Bella high from Kern and thought maybe I ought to try another hilly road race. The Bella high coupled with taking a complete rest day after Friday night track made for a guilty but energetic feeling. The rest day consisted of watching the giro, consuming lots of food, and taking many naps. At 9pm Saturday night, we felt unusually peppy so we traded our nighties for regular clothes. We got in the trucks and headed to Livermore to tackle the first part of Mt. Hamilton's point to point logistical nightmare.

Cutting to the race day chase, someone from another team was told by their coach to make the race a time trial effort. No reason why anyone would pay to do a time trial effort in a hilly 63 mile race from the very start? But, they did. The race started from the gun, and I was dropped before the right turn to road 130. A full on eight measley fricking minutes. I checked the heart rate monitor, and it was falling to 194. Ok, so that really was a fast start, and I wasn't just lame and wimpy. Later on, I had lovely company as Marscat and Marian decided to turn back and find me. We all rode the rest of the way together.

We had a follow vehicle that we kept trying to get rid of, but he told us that he could not go around "because this is sort of my job". He finally stopped at the top of the Lick Observaory. Whew...I felt bad for him. Burning all that $4+/gallon gas.

In the valley around mile 43, we caught a woman from our group and thought she might want to ride to the finish with us. For some reason, she wanted no part of our little group and scurried on ahead. Oh well...her loss. At mile 62, we saw the unfriendly again. Marscat said "lets pip her". We tried, rather Marian and Marscat tried, but I was out of gas and just exhausted. Anyway, this was one race that I had never attempted from the San Jose side, and I will never ever do again.

But the good thing is now I feel like imposing a mini halftme rest period on my racing season before the big gear up for nats. So for now, just a few Fridays and Tuesdays and maybe a crit now and then, but no more hilly road races. And, some card games and some camping thrown in for good luck. Yay!



16 Comments:

At 8:17 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

band geeks. it's totally trippy to hit play on both of those vids at once. totally.

did I ever tell you that I was my HS marching band drum major? yeah, I was a band geek, too.

see you guys on Friday?

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

yes, friday is definitely part of the plan...

I played snare and clairnet in the marching band...drum majors are cool!

I'm going to play both of those together.

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

maybe next year we'll have a band geeks theme night.

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

too bad I don't have my uniform anymore...I do have my band jacket tho...

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger meh-wee-uhn said...

Sounds like you had an awesome rest day. Multiple naps? Heaven!

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Denise said...

I did Mt.Hammy 2 years ago and it was so friggin hard for me that I swore that I would never do it again. If it is not fun.....you can count me out.

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger marscat said...

I do have my band jacket tho...

umm....er

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger Marian said...

I, too, was in the band geek club. Saxophone and Tuba. But I never had a cool outfit. :( Fun riding with ya! Thanks again for the most awesomest of rides back to my car!

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger EB said...

I was a jazz band geek (sax!) 'cause I got to wear suit pants with a tie instead of the funny hats. Oh, and I didn't have to go to the football games :).

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

My best friend's dad was the music teacher/band director and he would not let me say no for the first couple years of HS. And I got rotated to wherever they needed me; clarinet, trumpet, sax, sousaphone, percussion .... And I always feel for the flute players :-)

Sorry the follow cars were bothersome, but they did have a place. The person there to meet Marian was concerned she had not shown, so a quick radio check with the follow car found that you folks were still out on the course and within 9 miles of the finish ... which helped to appease the concern.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

Ooops, that should have read "fell" for the flute players, the pool of my early high school romantic affections.

 
At 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That first video looks a lot like my yoga class--minus the fez hats with tossles. Aren't you glad I didn't make you wear silly hats?
--
Is race season "unofficially" over, save for a few small races here and there? Time to eat! Isn't Hamilton sadistically delicious? Yummy!

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger jen said...

Mt Hammy as a time trial? That's just silly. Your way sounds way more funner.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

Rick-the follow vehicle was not a bad thing. I just felt guilty he had to stay behind us. The support by the SJBC was the best! I even made Marian and Marscat stop so I could pick up a souvenier H2O bottle.

Marian I'm glad we coould help out and thanks for coming back; great pulls in the valley!

I loved the football games just not the halftime shows since they made me nervous.

Hilly road race season is officially in the bag.

Even our way up Mt Ham was hard. Mt. Hamilton is just a big fricker and a major whack.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

did someone throw out my powder blue band jacket?????

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger jen said...

Italian TV had a sweet preview of tomorrow's stage this am. Should be so epic. Can't wait :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home