Catwonsports

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

trophy wife

or I should say, my wife has trophies...these are some from kern.(p.s. I hate that term trophy wife. The first time I heard it used was by Jonathon Vaughters. I stopped liking him then. But currently, he's one of the only current pro team owners to actually invest energy, time, and money in women's cycling. Slipstream has some junior women riders and their 5280 TIAA Cref younger junior team has a few girls. Maybe, I will reconsider my feelings towards JV.)

these are mine


Kern taper tip:
If you make old fashioned tomato rice soup with non fat milk, you can use the calories saved from the milk to eat all the ruffles you feel like eating. Did you know calorie counting works that way?

We went riding on Sunday and attempted to ride the Grizzly Peak Century. We have ridden this century ride many times, and the reason I like it is because I can usually pass LOTS of people on the hills. For a flatlander sprinter racer, centuries are cool because the majority of the people riding the century are not racers. And racers riding centuries can go pretty fast. This fastness includes me. On hills in centuries, I don't mind saying it, but I look like a climbing stud, and I love it. It's the only time when I can feel pretty good about my climbing. But this year, I was foiled. We started out early and ran into a lot of riders. I was passing people left and right and feeling pretty darn good about it. It was great prep for Kern. A truly great confidence builder before the real climbers hand me my ass over and over again. Unfortunately, there were too many riders and my two riding partners were not having fun. By the way, these two unnamed riders are ones who don't need centuries to pass people on hills. So after 1.5 hours, we bagged the ride, turned right at SP Dam Road and rode up to Mt. Diablo. Then afer 5 hours, we caught bart and rode back to berkeley with some bunnies. All in all it was a good training day: same amount of climbing, same amount of ride hours, but 1000 times more peaceful and quiet.

14 Comments:

At 1:42 PM, Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

I would not criticize Vaughters for the term 'tropy wife'; I heard the term probably before he was even born.

I bet the weather this past weekend was great for climbing Diablo. Nice ride when the weather is not too hot, darn nasty when it is baking out.

 
At 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's wrong with "trophy wife?" I'm a trophy wife, minus the boob implants, the botox, the laser surgery and I come with an additional 15 pounds missing from the typical trophy wife. I tell Mr. Wild Dingo, those 15 pounds are his trophy.

Sigh. I miss the sadism that Kern bestows. Do I need my head examined?

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger chatterbox said...

good call on making your own century. It sounds nice!

See you guys for the Kern-fest. I can't wait for my first taste-o-kern.

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger marscat said...

the final straw was the rider bellowing "ON YOUR LEFT!" from about a mile behind us as we descended Wild Cat...

 
At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"On you're left!" is so Spanglish. Maybe you should have shouted "on you're right" when he went by...just in case he needed to know.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger marscat said...

Dingo -- that's exactly what I did.



...couldn't help myself

 
At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarcastically mean minds think alike!

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

weather was chilly and breezy, just like summertime

WildDingo come to Kern for the port and chocolate and after race meals...we miss you

"on the left" was a woman-very stupid and unsafe.

CB-kern will be life changing.

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger ~ lauren said...

is that a big blue chicken in the BART picture?

i don't do centuries anymore.

i'm not even fast and i don't do them anymore.

it's like going trick or treating when you're 15 and realizing it just aint working anymore.

 
At 10:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ippoc: somehow, port, chocolate and Bakersfield just doesn't shake my tail feathers unless there's an ass-whoppin' that precedes them. sadly, i'm still too much of a cream puff to volunteer for the whoopin just yet. Someday, i'll return to Kern with you, and promise we'll shake up the blue-haired patrons at the local Olive Garden.

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger Lilly Bella said...

You could rename your trophy wifey.
How 'bout:
1. trinket tart
2. medal mamma
3. hardware ho

Now doesn't that make trophy wife sound mo betta?

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger marscat said...

hardware ho!

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger EB said...

I realized at the GPC this year that I love centuries, too, for exactly the same reason. We're not slow climbers, we're just slower than the stud racer climbers. So there!

We started late, though, and did the whole thing. Ow. The last part to the high school (new location from when I last did it) was a bitch of a hill.

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger EB said...

Oh dear, and THEN I read hardware ho...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home